Jaguar D-type 1955
The D-type won the 24-hour classic three times in a row and became an instant classic. It was one of the last cars that could be driven to the venue, raced and drives home again. Its purposeful lines, designed by Jaguar’s brilliant aerodynamicist Malcolm Sayer, made it a candidate for „the most beautiful car ever“, and it was the first true monocoque car built by Jaguar. An unnamed prototype had achieved almost 180 mph on the Jabbeke Highway in Belgium in the autumn of 1953, but the D-type made its first public appearance in a private test session at Le Mans in the spring of 1954. This car was originally delivered to J. Palacios and Rodolfo Bay of Spain, and in the 1980’s was exhibited in the Museum at the Le Mans Circuit des 24 Heures.